For updates regarding COVID-19, please visit the University of Michigan's information page here

  • Student Resources


On-Campus Students


Online Students


General Resources


Plan of Study and Course Descriptions

ISD's master's degrees are 30 credits; generally, a full-time student (9+ credits a semester) can complete the degree in three full semesters plus a summer term during which the student completes his or her capstone/practicum project.

For example, a student who starts full-time in Fall 2017 may have the following sequence:
Fall 2017: 9 credits
Winter 2018: 9 credits
Spring/Summer 2018: 3 credits
Fall 2018: 9 credits
December 2018: graduate with 30 credits completed

Any master's student has up to five years to complete the degree program.

Plan of Study Steps

  1. Review your program curriculum and course descriptions via the links below.
  2. Complete a preliminary Plan of Study form and send it to your graduate coordinator.
  3. Your graduate coordinator will let you know once your preliminary Plan of Study is approved. If necessary, your coordinator may share your Plan of Study with your program director.
  4. Your preliminary Plan of Study must be approved by your graduate coordinator and/or program director before you may register.
  5. All future changes to your Plan of Study must be shared with your graduate coordinator and must be formally approved.
  6. Refer to the steps for On-campus Students: Registering for Classes and Online Students: Registering for Classes for registration details.

Curriculum, Course Descriptions, and Plans of Study by Degree Program

Automotive Engineering Design Science Master's
Design Science PhD
Energy Systems Engineering
Global Automotive and Manufacturing Engineering
Manufacturing Doctor of Engineering
Systems Engineering + Design



Capstone or Practicum Projects (503 Projects)

Capstone or practicum projects are experiential projects that allow ISD students to apply what they have learned from their studies to a real-world problem or issue.

  • These projects are a culminating learning experience that happen every term but must be completed towards the end of your program.
  • Projects are usually structured as internships sponsored by a company.
  • ISD hosts information sessions on the projects twice a year. You should begin planning your project during your first semester.
  • ISD regularly shares internship announcements received from companies, and company sponsors will occasionally visit campus to provide details. ISD also recommends that you utilize the resources at the Engineering Career Resource Center to find a company sponsor.
  • Most project courses are under the course number "503" (e.g. AUTO 503, ESENG 503, ISD 503, MFG 503).
  • If you are currently employed, your project could address a job-related issue and can be completed at your company's location.
  • Consult your ISD graduate coordinator for additional details.
  • On-campus ISD students may be able to satisfy their project requirements by applying to the Tauber Institute or by joining MDP.  More details are below.

On-campus Students: Tauber Institute for Global Operations

The Tauber Institute is an excellent opportunity for students interested in combining their interests in manufacturing and business. Students in the Tauber Institute gain access to a wide range of companies, leadership courses, and more. If you are interested, you should apply for the Tauber Institute after gaining admission into ISD but before arriving on campus. Note that participation in the institute could require the completion of extra courses, as Tauber includes three required courses which may or may not be part of your plan of study.

On-campus Students: Multidisciplinary Design Program

The Multidisciplinary Design Program, or MDP, gives students the chance to work on teams that tackle complex engineering design problems while earning credit. In some cases, an MDP project may fulfill your 503 project requirements.  Apply for an MDP project during the Fall term for completing the project in the following Winter and Fall terms.



Academic Resources


MCommunity is a directory of people and groups at the University of Michigan.


U-M students have access to a wide range of resources through the U-M library system, including an extensive online database of books, journal articles, and more through Mirlyn.

ISD students have specific librarians they can contact with questions about library resources and services, purchase requests, and library research assistance. Find your librarian below.

  • Paul Grochowski: Automotive Engineering; Global Automotive + Manufacturing Engineering; Manufacturing; Systems Engineering + Design
  • Leena Lalwani: Design Science; Energy Systems Engineering

Books and Course Packs

Most College of Engineering textbooks can be purchased at the Pierpont Commons Bookstore on North Campus or at the other University of Michigan bookstores.

Textbooks for classes taken through the Ross School of Business can be purchased through local bookstores. For Ross School of Business course packs, your instructor will give you the course pack link on the first day of class.

You may also be able to purchase textbooks at the websites below:


Canvas is an advanced web-based course and collaboration environment. Canvas helps instructors, researchers and students create and manage course websites, using a variety of tools and apps to meet their instructional needs. Students will have permanent access to their course materials/resources unless the student is removed from the participant list by the instructor or the instructor removes the courses.

To learn more about the features Canvas provides to supplement and enhance teaching and learning, please read the university's info for students page. Also, you can access detailed student guides at Canvas' student guide center.

Computer Access, Email, and Purchasing Hardware and Software

Information Technology Central Services (ITCS)
All general computing links and information can be found on the ITCS website.

Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN) Computer Access
CAEN offers a comprehensive set of information technology services and resources that are available to all students, faculty, and staff in the College of Engineering.

Once you are registered for a class, you can obtain your CAEN account herePlease note that this account is in addition to your ITCS/UMICH account. The CAEN account will give you access to many computer labs across campus.

Learn about accessing email here.


Academic Policies, Transfer Credit, and Conduct Codes

Time Limit to Complete Degree

Any master's student has up to five years to complete the degree program. See Plan of Study and Course Descriptions for more details on a typical degree timeline.

Converting Letter Grades

For U-M Rackham and College of Engineering graduate students, letter grades submitted by instructors will be converted into numbers, or points, as follows:

A+ 4.3
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- .7

This is a 4.3 system, with a maximum term and cumulative GPA of 4.0; to be in good academic standing, a student will need to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (B) or better.

Academic Standing

ISD will follow the policy below for all students pursuing a Master of Science, a Master of Engineering, a Doctor of Engineering, or a Doctor of Philosophy:

  • To maintain a satisfactory academic standing, a student must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (B) for all graduate courses taken for credit and applied toward the degree program in which the student is enrolled.
  • A student whose cumulative GPA falls below a 3.0 in a given term or half term will be placed on probation for the following term or half term, or may be denied permission to register. A student whose cumulative GPA falls below a 3.0 for two successive terms or half terms may, upon the recommendation of the program director, be granted a final opportunity to correct the scholastic and/or academic deficiency. A student whose cumulative GPA falls below a 3.0 for three successive terms or half terms will not be permitted to continue in the program.
  • A student who has been admitted to any program on probation must meet the minimum GPA conditions specified in the admissions letter. Failure to do so will, upon the recommendation of the program director, disqualify the student to continue further in the program.
  • A student whose cumulative GPA is below a 3.0 cannot be recommended for a degree.

Under special circumstances, the actions described above may be waived on petition to modify the conditions of academic standing or discipline as follows: If a student who was not in good academic standing when last enrolled in the program at the College of Engineering wishes to be readmitted or change degree level, he or she must petition his or her program director for modification of the conditions of academic standing or discipline. The petition should provide the reasons for previous poor performance; explain how those conditions have changed; and present specific plans for future study. The program director must approve the petition. Readmission is not guaranteed.

Transfer Credit

Some students may be allowed to transfer a small number of courses toward their degree program. If a student is interested in transferring a course (not taken yet or already taken), the course must be approved. Please contact your graduate coordinator to find out the detailed transfer of credit requirements or download the Transfer of Credit Instructions + Form.

General Transfer Credit Rules and Requirements:

  • You must successfully complete each transfer course with a grade of B or higher (a B- will not be accepted for transfer credit). NOTE: Only the credits transfer for a transfer course. The grade earned for a transfer course will not appear on your U-M transcript, nor will the grade be included in your overall U-M GPA.
  • Transfer credits cannot be applied toward another degree.
  • Transfer courses must have been taken within five years of beginning the present graduate program.
  • There are NO exceptions for transfer of credit requirements!
  • Design Science students should consult Rackham transfer credit policies.

Leave of Absence and Other Policies for Design Science PhD and Doctor of Engineering Students

Design Science PhD and Doctor of Engineering students should consult with the Rackham Graduate School regarding leave of absences and other policies.

Honor Code

All students enrolled in an ISD graduate degree program are bound by the standards and policies contained in the Honor Code, in all courses related to the program. Click here to learn more about the Honor Code.

Expecting Respect in the College of Engineering

Being a successful member of the College of Engineering community involves intense, spirited, and innovative collaboration with groups of people from diverse backgrounds. Our goal is to foster a welcoming environment of respect and courtesy for all members of our campus community. To learn more about the college's Expecting Respect initiatives or to learn about how to identify and report harassment or discrimination, please visit this website for more information.

Compliance Resource Center

As a U-M student, your actions have the potential to impact a wide circle of people, from the people who teach you to the people you live with in residence halls to the people who drive you around in the blue buses. The U-M community can function smoothly and successfully if everyone takes responsibility for his or her own actions and treats each other with respect. This includes making sure our actions comply with the law and with university policies. That is all that "compliance" means: learning what the rules are and being willing to follow them. To learn more about U-M's compliance policies, visit the Compliance Resource Center website.


Financial Services

Financial Services and Billing

Student Financial Services manages student account billing and collection at the University of Michigan. There are many resources available throughout this section of the Financial Operations website to assist the university's students and parents with managing and understanding the student bill.

All current tuition and fee rates can be found here. Detailed information about tuition and fees for academic programs is available at the Office of the Registrar.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

For information on searching for scholarships and applying for financial aid, please see ISD's Financial Aid page.

On-campus Students: Estimated Cost of Living

Please see the Office of Financial Aid's Cost of Attendance webpage for details on expected expenses for living in the city of Ann Arbor while attending the University of Michigan.

International Student Financial Aid Policies

Please note that federal regulations and university policy severely limit the types of financial assistance available to non-U.S. citizens.

University admissions policy requires that international students (those with F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, or G series visas) have enough resources to meet their expenses throughout their stay at the University; students with these visas are not eligible for federal student aid. More information may be found on the Office of Financial Aid webpage for international students.


Graduation, Career Resources, and Alumni Outreach

Applying to Graduate

ISD sends a reminder email about applying for graduation at the beginning of each semester to inform students who intend to graduate at the end of that term. You must apply to graduate on Wolverine Access. Once you apply to graduate, your graduate coordinator will prepare a degree audit to ensure all graduation requirements are fulfilled. If your graduate coordinator has any questions regarding your degree audit, you will be contacted by email.

Graduation Ceremonies

Several ceremonies are held at the end of the fall and winter semesters to celebrate U-M's newest alumni.

Fall Term Graduation Events (December)
Winter Term Graduation Events (April or May)

Career Resources

Engineering Career Resource Center
An excellent resource is the Engineering Career Resource Center (ECRC), which provides job postings, recruiting services, career advising, workshops and employer presentations, on-campus recruiting, and more. Both on-campus and online students are supported by the ECRC.


ECRC Location and Hours of Operation

North Campus
230 Chrysler Center 2121 Bonisteel Blvd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Phone: (734) 647-7160
Fax: (734) 647-7141

Career Fairs

The College of Engineering hosts several career fairs per year, including the SWE/TBP Engineering Fall Career Fair and the Winter Engineering Career Fair. We highly encourage ISD students to participate in these fairs.

Ann Arbor SPARK

This organization is dedicated to posting jobs located in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area. The focus is on high-value, knowledge-based, Michigan-based positions. Begin searching for jobs here.

Alumni Outreach

ISD has a strong network of active alumni worldwide from all across industry and academia. We hope you stay in touch! Here are some ways to do so.

  • Join our LinkedIn Alumni and Affiliates Group
  • Contact us with news about your latest career moves, awards, and other updates
  • Continue your education by participating in ISD's extensive offerings of professional programs
  • Host a current ISD student at your company for a capstone or practicum project
  • Mentor a current or recently graduated ISD student and help to share your knowledge and expertise

Sigma Theta Mu


The Systems Engineering + Design program is home to the Michigan Beta chapter of Sigma Theta Mu, an honor society for systems engineering.  Sigma Theta Mu recognizes the high scholastic, scientific, and professional attainment in the study and practice of systems, systems-related engineering, or systems engineering.

Those eligible for membership include current ISD students in the top 20% of their class (those in Systems Engineering + Design and in other ISD degree programs); and alumni who have graduated at least five years ago and have achieved recognition in systems engineering through scholarly activity, research, professional practice, or service.

Those who are interested in learning more should contact Elena Chesney

On-Campus Students: How to Get Started

Upcoming Events

2019 Engineering Orientation for Graduate Students
Wednesday - August 28, 2019 
Hill Auditorium (Central Campus)
825 University Avenue

Ann Arbor, MI  48109
12:30 pm - 1:00 pm - Check in at the Hill Auditorium
1:00 pm Program Welcome by Mary-Ann Mycek, Associate Dean for Graduate Education

1:15 pm Change it UP! Bystander Intervention Training
2:45 pm Remarks from Dean Gallimore

3:00 pm - 3:45 pm College Resorces and Services for Graduate Students
3:45 pm - 4:30 pm Ice Cream Social

Please review the links below to get started!

  1. On-Campus Students: Living in Ann Arbor
  2. Umich account and uniqname.
  3. On-Campus Students: International Student Resources
  4. Plan of Study
  5. On-Campus Students: Registering for Classes
  6. Review the remaining pages on this Student Resources site. This site can be a great tool throughout your time as an ISD student!

Creating Your Umich Account

You will create your account online through Wolverine Access using a uniqname and Kerberos password. All new incoming students must follow the links below for instructions on how to obtain a uniqname and password.

Use of Umich Account

All university correspondence will be sent to your email account. If you wish, you can have your email forwarded to any email account you choose. To learn about forwarding your email, please visit this page on the Information and Technology Services (ITS) website.

Student Mcard

The Mcard includes identification, library borrowing privileges, building access, and meal plans all on one card. All members of the university community are required to have a valid Mcard. The eight-digit UMID number printed on the front of each Mcard is the cardholder's university number or UMID (e.g., student number). 

After you have your uniqname and password, you will need to take your photo ID (Driver's License) to the Entrée Office to obtain your Mcard. You will receive your card at the Entrée Office within 10–15 minutes.

Entrée Office Locations 


North Campus
Pierpont Commons
2101 Bonisteel
Lower Level Room B-430

Phone: (734) 763-6294

8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.


Central Campus
Student Activities Building
515 E. Jefferson Street
Room 100

Phone: (734) 763-4632

8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.


On-campus Students: Living in Ann Arbor

ISD Student Space in the School of Information-North

Join your fellow students on the 2nd floor of the School of Information-North (SI-North). ISD students have access to common study areas 24/7. SI-North is also the location of your graduate coordinator's office, select ISD faculty offices, and most ISD events, including the ISD Graduate Student Advisory Committee meetings.

Campus Maps

An interactive campus map can be found here. U-M is made up of four campuses. ISD classes are on North Campus. Some ISD students may also have classes on Central Campus. North and Central Campuses are very close to each other and students can easily take buses back and forth between the two campuses.

Meal Plans and On-campus Dining

Michigan Dining is comprised of eleven on-campus cafés and eight markets, seven residential dining halls, a line of Blue to Go foods, and the Michigan Catering unit. Learn about which plan is right for you.


There are many housing options in the Ann Arbor area. Often students ask whether they should live near North Campus or Central Campus. Most engineering classes are held on North Campus; however, ISD students may have classes on Central Campus, especially if they take classes in the Ross School of Business. The U-M bus system has frequent buses that travel the two-mile distance between the campuses year-round, making it very easy for students to live near either campus.

Central Campus is close to the vibrant downtown of Ann Arbor. There are many restaurants, boutiques, bars, museums, and concert venues downtown, particularly the South University Ave and Main Street areas. Students interested in living in a busy, friendly urban community will enjoy living near Central Campus.

North Campus is a much quieter suburban section of Ann Arbor, with over 800 acres of land and abundant wildlife. The College of Engineering, the School of Art & Design, the School of Music, Theatre & Dance, and the Taubman College of Architecture & Urban Planning are all located on North Campus. North Campus is close to several city parks, the Huron River, and a variety of shopping plazas. Students interested in a quiet, suburban experience will love living on or near North Campus.

Explore the sites below to learn more about your housing options:


U-M Parking and Bus Services
University of Michigan Parking & Transportation Services (PTS) provides parking and transportation services. PTS runs a vast network of bus routes on campus, which are particularly important for students on North Campus. Go here for bus route information. Parking information can be found here. Most parking spaces on the University of Michigan campuses require parking permits.

Ann Arbor Bus Services
The Ann Arbor Transportation Authority (The Ride) operates public transportation services in the Ann Arbor area community. Students with active Mcards can use The Ride for free.

Transportation to Detroit Metro Airport
Information on transportation to and from the airport can be found here.

Duderstadt Center

Located on U-M's North Campus, the James and Anne Duderstadt Center houses the Art, Architecture, and Engineering Library, the College of Engineering Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN), the Digital Media Commons, and the Millennium Project. The Mujo Cafe provides a space for refreshment and social interaction.

U-M Computer Showcase

Registered students can purchase computer hardware and software at substantial educational discounts from the U-M Computer Showcase. There are two locations: one at Pierpont Commons on North Campus and another in the lower level of the Michigan Union on Central Campus.

Student Clubs, Community, Recreation, and Athletics

The U-M community offers a variety of clubs, recreational sports, and other activities to supplement student life outside of the classroom, including:

  • U-M Maize Pages: directory of the hundreds of student clubs at U-M
  • The Michigan Daily: U-M's student-run newspaper
  • U-M Recreational Sports: includes several campus gyms, group fitness classes, club sports, and more
  • U-M Athletics: one of the most competitive and prestigious college athletics departments in the nation; learn how to buy tickets for sporting events and get ready to cheer on the Victors!

Explore Ann Arbor

Consistently ranked among America's Top 10 most livable cities, Ann Arbor boasts countless festivals, entertainment venues, cultural destinations, and dining hotspots.

Check out these links to learn more:



At ISD, we believe your number one priority as a student should be taking care of yourself so that you are able to do your best in the classroom, in industry, and everywhere in between. Below are some resources to help you navigate your time as an ISD student.


University Health Service (UHS)
UHS is an on-campus clinic that offers comprehensive medical care. UHS is available for U-M students from all campuses, alumni, faculty, staff, and retirees. Most services are free for students.

Counseling and Psychlogical Services (CAPS)
CAPS is available for enrolled U-M Ann Arbor students. Students have access to therapists, social workers, psychiatrists, and many other staff. CAPS supplies information, services, and tools to help students with a variety of needs. There is no cost for CAPS services.

U-M Psychiatric Emergency Service
Located next to the Emergency Medicine unit at the University Hospital, anyone seeking emergency psychiatric care can visit the crisis center or contact the crisis line.

Crisis Line: 734-996-4747 or 734-936-5900
University Hospital
1500 East Medical Center Drive
Reception: Emergency Medicine
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)
The SSD office is available to provide support services and academic accommodations to students with disabilities. It is not uncommon for a student to discover a disability for the first time during college and/or graduate school. SSD is available to help students navigate the process of identifying a disability, applying for accommodations, and more.

Local Urgent Care Facilities
See below for a list of local urgent care clinics. Students are responsible for payment for any medical care received outside of University Health Services, including emergency room and ambulance services. Those services are not covered by the health service fee.

IHA Urgent Care-Domino's Farms
4200 Whitehall Dr
Suite 150
Ann Arbor, MI 48105

Ann Arbor Urgent Care
1000 E. Stadium Blvd
Suite 1
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

St. Joseph Mercy Maple Health Building
501 N. Maple Rd
Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Dental Faculty Associates (DFA) Clinic
Faculty members at the U-M School of Dentistry operate a clinic on Central Campus. Patients have access to all of the same services they would find in a private practice with the additional benefit of the collaborative teaching and learning environment found at the School of Dentistry.

School of Dentistry
First Floor, Room 1340
1011 North University Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Student Caregivers
An excellent resource for U-M students who are acting as caregivers for children or unwell family members can be found at the Students with Children website.

Health Insurance and University Health Services (UHS)

Why Students Should Have Health Insurance

  • In case you are ill or injured: Students are responsible for payment of costs not covered by the health service fee, including medication, emergency room visits, hospitalizations or ambulance service, and any services outside UHS. If you do not have insurance, consider purchasing an insurance plan.
  • In case you experience a health problem while traveling: The university offers a plan that can reduce the impact of health problems on study, work, volunteer, and travel abroad. For more information, see UHS's page about travel abroad health insurance.

Health Insurance for International Students
If you are an F-1 or J-1 international student or a J-1 visiting scholar whose Form I-20 or DS-2019 was issued by the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, you are required to have health insurance coverage for yourself and any F-2 or J-2 dependents while at the University of Michigan. Health insurance coverage is coordinated through the U-M International Center. Find out more information here.



On-campus Students: International Student Resources

The University of Michigan is an international community of scholars from around the world. We appreciate and celebrate our diverse global community and have a variety of resources to help you navigate and make the most of your experience at U-M and ISD.

"For generations, the University of Michigan has been known throughout the world as a leading international community of scholars...Our ability to attract the best students and faculty from around the globe enhances our teaching, learning, research and societal impact and is in part responsible for our standing as a great public research university." – University of Michigan President Mark Schlissel

You can read the rest of President Schlissel's January 28, 2017 remarks here.  U-M has a strong history with international students and faculty, including:

  • More than 167 years of experience in admitting international students
  • First foreign-born faculty member hired in 1846
  • Students come from 118 countries

International Center

The U-M International Center provides a variety of services to assist international students, scholars, faculty, and staff at the University of Michigan. Please note it is your responsibility to keep your international records up to date and maintain proper visa status while you are a student here. The International Center offers the following services:

  • Advises international students, scholars, their dependents, and university departments on compliance with U.S. immigration laws and regulations related to F and J visa categories
  • Recommends and approves immigration benefits
  • Verifies, tracks, and submits visa status notifications through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), as required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
  • Advises on adjustment to U.S. society and American culture, academic concerns, and community resources
  • Processes DS-2019s, I-20s, travel signatures, and letters needed for travel, employment, maintaining status, social security numbers, and other immigration related matters.
  • Conducts workshops and orientation sessions for international students, scholars, and U-M departments

Resources for New International Students

Two great resources for new students include:


International Center
Location and Hours of Operation

1500 Student Activities Building
515 E. Jefferson Street,
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

CPT and OPT Information

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) are defined as types of employment directly related to a student's field of study. CPT is the correct option for students who are currently enrolled in courses and OPT is the correct option for students who seek temporary employment after they have finished their degree.

Additional Resources


On-campus Students: Registering for Classes

Important Tips

  • We recommend that if you are a new full-time student, you should enroll in no more than 9 credits and ensure that you focus on courses that meet your degree requirements.
    • Students who take 9-12 credits a semester towards degree requirements will complete a 30-credit master's program in 12-18 months.
  • If you are taking courses at the Ross School of Business, please refer to this webpage.
  • If you are in the dual-degree Manufacturing + MBA program, please contact Kathy Bishar ( for registration directions.
  • As an on-campus student, you will use Wolverine Access to register for classes. To learn how to use Wolverine Access for registration, please refer to the Student Business Help Menu.
  • You will be issued an enrollment appointment, which indicates when you are able to officially register. Note this is not a physical appointment—registration is done entirely online.
  • You must be enrolled in at least one course before the first day of classes or you will be charged a late registration fee.
  • If you are a recently graduated U-M undergraduate, do not use your undergrad enrollment appointment time; you must wait for your new graduate enrollment appointment.
  • For important registration dates, including deadlines on making changes to your schedule, see the Office of the Registrar's calendars.
  • It is possible to have classes on North Campus and Central Campus on the same day. Buses frequently run between the two campuses. Allot an hour of time between classes on North and Central Campuses.
  • A credit hour (semester hour) generally represents one hour of lecture per week for a term, or two for a half term. Preparation for each credit hour normally requires a minimum of three hours of study per week. Generally, one period of laboratory work is considered equal to one credit hour.

Waitlist, Override, and Audit Policies

  • Every department has different policies and procedures for class permissions.
  • If you wish to audit (visit) a class, you must receive instructor permission. We encourage you to keep audited courses to a minimum. Audited courses will not count towards your program requirements.
  • It is common for some classes to be full and to require you to register for the waitlist. Be certain to attend the first day of class in the event that a space opens for you. Spaces often do become available, but it is not guaranteed.
  • ISD students may not have priority for non-ISD classes. If you would like to take a non-ISD class that requires instructor or department permission, we encourage you to reach out to the department and politely ask for further instructions.
  • You may need to find and enroll in alternative classes while you are waiting to find out if you may take a restricted or waitlisted class.
  • You are not guaranteed an override.
  • More information on waitlist and override processes may be found here.

Important Deadlines

  • Backpacking (picking out classes and creating a tentative schedule)
    • Fall and Spring/Summer Terms
      • New students: May
      • Returning students: late March
    • Winter Term: mid-November
  • Enrollment (officially registering for classes)
    • Fall and Spring/Summer Terms
      • New students: early June
      • Returning students: late March/early April
    • Winter Term: late November
  • Add/drop deadlines (deadlines to make changes to your schedule)

Steps for On-campus Registration

  1. Refer to your program's Plan of Study and course descriptions and complete the necessary steps. You must have your Plan of Study approved before registering.
  2. Visit the Wolverine Access website.
  3. Log in using your uniqname and password.
  4. To create a schedule, refer to the Backpack and Schedule Builder sections of the Student Business Help Menu.
  5. First you will use the Backpack function to review official class offerings for a given term, and save the classes in which you are interested.
  6. Once your enrollment appointment occurs, you will go back into Wolverine Access and formally enroll.
  7. To view your class schedule, refer to the Class Schedule page in the Student Business Help Menu.

Online Students: How to Get Started

Incoming Online Student Checklist

Please review the links below to get started!

  1. Umich account and uniqname
  2. Plan of Study
  3. Online Students: Registering for Classes
  4. Review the remaining pages on the Student Resources site. This site can be a great tool throughout your time as an ISD student!

Creating Your Umich Account

You will create your account online through Wolverine Access using a uniqname and Kerberos password. All new incoming students must follow the links below for instructions on how to obtain a uniqname and password.

Use of Umich Account

All university correspondence will be sent to your email account. If you wish, you can have your email forwarded to any email account you choose. To learn about forwarding your email, please visit this page on the Information and Technology Services (ITS) website.


Online Students: Registering for Classes

Important Tips

  • As an online student, you will register through ISD's online graduate course website, not on Wolverine Access.
  • If you are a recently graduated U-M undergraduate entering an online ISD graduate program, you should not use your undergrad enrollment appointment time and you should not register in Wolverine Access; you must wait for registration to open on ISD's website.
  • You must be enrolled in at least one course before the first day of classes or you will be charged a late registration fee.
  • After you have registered, if you would like to make changes, you must contact your graduate coordinator. For important registration dates, see the Office of the Registrar's calendars.
  • You must have a U-M identification number, or UMID, and your uniqname. Contact us if you don't have your UMID. You should have received your UMID when you submitted your application for admission.
  • A high-speed connection to the internet outside of a corporate firewall is required for access to online course lectures.
  • Standard admission requirements for Master of Engineering students apply to all students registering to take online courses.
  • Priority enrollment: Priority enrollment classes are online courses with limited space. If a course in which you are interested is a priority enrollment course and it is not on your approved Plan of Study, you will not be able to register for the course and you will not see the course as an available option for you in the registration system.

Important Deadlines

  • Course listings available
    • Fall Term: late June/early July
    • Winter Term: mid-October
    • Spring/Summer Term: mid-March
  • Enrollment (officially registering for classes)
    • Fall Term: mid- to late July
    • Winter Term: early to mid-November
    • Spring/Summer Term: late March/early April
  • Add/drop deadlines (deadlines to make changes to your schedule)

Steps for Online Registration

  1. You will receive an email from ISD indicating when the online graduate courses are available for review. Read over the online graduate courses for the upcoming semester. Be sure to take note of any prerequisites and system requirements.
  2. Refer to your program's Plan of Study and course descriptions and complete the necessary steps. You must have your Plan of Study approved before registering.
  1. Select the "Register Now" button, which can be found under each course listing. You will then be prompted to enter your uniqname and UMID.
  2. Complete and submit the registration form. Select the classes that have been approved on your Plan of Study.
  3. Upon submitting your registration, you will receive an automated confirmation email.
  4. Your registration will not be officially processed until closer to the beginning of the semester. At that time, you will receive another automated email verifying your official registration and will be granted access into Canvas. Please note you will receive a verification email for each class for which you have registered.

Online Students: Monitor Information

All Michigan Engineering students are placed upon their honor during all examinations, written quizzes, computer questions, homework, laboratory reports, and any other work turned in for credit, as required by the instructor. As an online student, you may take paper-based exams with a monitor, unless the exams are take-home or online via Canvas.

Click here to learn more

 Back to top